Wednesday, March 30, 2011

It's about time!

Sorry for the delay! Things have been SUPER busy around the house - our wedding is right around the corner (April 23rd here we come!)  I am also happy to announce that our company - Parisleaf.com has taken off and this has been our BUSIEST month by far!

So, here are my most recent announcements!

1. I took a shot at the rustic black bean and sweet potato soup, and unfortunately came up (half) empty handed.  While I must say that the soup did have that rustic taste to it (which I actually enjoy) - due to some  stubborn black beans, my soup came out more like a stew/paste. A special shout out to my future Hubbie Chad and his friend Jonathan for cheering me on and eating the "soup" anyways!

2. I have been doing A LOT of cooking, I just haven't had the time to sit down and share it all with you! So I will try to get better (although consider my promises empty until AFTER the wedding!)

3. My latest obsession----QUINOA!! (keen-wah) Seriously people, if you haven't tried preparing quinoa for breakfast, lunch, or dinner - you are missing out! 



Okay, let me tell you a little more detail to get you as excited as I am. Quinoa is actually a seed, but acts just like a grain.  It is an amazing source of protein and contains all 8 amino acids! It is also packed full of fiber, iron and Vitamin B. PLUS - it is incredibly easy to prepare and tasty - it has a slightly nutty flavor! You combine 2 cups of water (or chicken broth) for every 1 cup of quinoa.  Bring it to a boil and then lower heat to a simmer and cover.  Keep over heat until most of the liquid has been absorbed and then remove from heat and allow to cool for about 5 minutes. You can then fluff it with a fork (just like cous-cous) and mix it with ABSOLUTELY ANYTHING.

Toasted Quinoa Almondine with Berries

Ingredients:
1 cup quinoa
1/2 cup sliced almonds
1 cup chicken broth
1 cup water
1/2 tsp sea salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1 bay leaf
1/2 cup dried berries

Toast almonds and quinoa over medium heat until golden - make sure to keep it moving in the pan.



Transfer into a saucepan and add the remaining ingredients.  Bring to a boil, cover, and reduce to a simmer for 20 minutes.  Remove from heat and allow to cool for 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork and you are ready for a yummy and healthy dinner.



For a side, I sauteed asparagus in a pan with lime juice and sea salt. YUM!


No comments:

Post a Comment